View of numbers 13 to 15 Belgrave Street. On the left number 13 is a two storey property which was once occupied by the caretaker of The Great Synagogue, next door, to the right, at number 15 Belgrave Street. The Great Synagogue was purpose-built (the first purpose-built synagogue in Yorkshire) and replaced the former synagogue located at a converted house in Back Rockingham Street. The architects were Perkin and Backhouse and the synagogue opened here in August 1861. Eventually, over the years, as the Jewish population of Leeds moved away from the centre, (the Leylands area, between North Street and Regent Street), membership numbers at the Great Synagogue declined. The old building required high levels of maintenance and so it closed down in 1983 and was subsequently demolished. A Blue Plaque, sponsored by The United Hebrew Association, was unveiled by Rabbi Dr Solomon Brown on 3rd February 1991 to commemorate The Great Synagogue. It is mounted on the exterior wall of an office block which now occupies the site.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.