Image shows the old Post Office at Town Gate, on the Green, in the process of being demolished. The event is recorded by watercolour artist, Fred Swaine (1858-1942) and took place some time prior to the First World War. The old post office opened here in 1840 and was part of a group of 6 cottages. It closed in 1909 and a new post office opened in Blackett Street, then called Back Lane.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.