Image shows the piers and entrance gates (c.1720) to Potternewton Hall after a heavy snowfall.
The Hall's owner, Francis Lupton Esq. and his brother, Leeds Mayor Darnton Lupton, had raised their families at Potternewton Hall since the early 19th century. The Hall was demolished in 1935. The estate's entrance gates, urns and statuary were offered to the University of Leeds by William Lupton and Sons Ltd, Whitehall Mills, Leeds. In 1921, Mrs Olive Middleton and her sister, Miss Anne Lupton, inherited both the woollen cloth manufacturing business from their father, Francis Martineau Lupton, and a stake in another firm, the New Briggate Arcade Company.
The company had been formed in the late 19th Century to build a new shopping and entertainment centre in Leeds city centre - The Grand Arcade - on land owned by the Lupton family since the 18th century. By 1925, the New Briggate Development Company owned a half share in the Newton Hall/Potternewton Hall Estate which was owned by the Lupton family. The Lupton family had been major benefactors to numerous educational institutions, including Leeds Grammar/Girls' High School, the Royal Russell School in Surrey, Lady Margaret School in Parsons Green and the University of Leeds at which Francis Martineau's brother - Dr A. G. Lupton - had been the founding Pro-Chancellor. Olive's husband, solicitor Mr R. Noel Middleton (died 1951) was the director of William Lupton and Sons Ltd, Est. 1773.