View of Potternewton Hall in Potternewton Lane. By the early 1700's, the Barker family had acquired a substantial acreage from the Earl of Mexborough and built Potternewton Hall (c1720's). By 1860, the Barker family had sub-divided their estate with Potternewton Hall and 13 acres being sold to Francis Lupton, a "gentleman" whose family had lived at Potternewton Hall since the 1840's. Before long, the Lupton family owned the adjoining estates, including Newton Hall, which they sold in the 1920's for subdivision. By 1935, they had also sold Potternewton Hall, again subdividing. The Lupton family sold their family seat, Beechwood, in nearby Roundhay in 1998 - much of the farm land having been sold by the 1950's to create the Leeds township of Seacroft. In October 1935 G.F. Greenwood, a York Antique Dealer, offered for sale an "old panelled room from the Georgian mansion, Potternewton Hall c.1720". The room was bought and reassembled at Sutton Park, near York, as a morning room.