Undated. View of Potternewton Hall in Potternewton Lane. By the early 1700's, the Barker family had acquired a substantial acreage from the Earl of Mexborough and built Potternewton Hall (c.1720). By 1860, the Barker family had sub-divided their estate with Potternewton Hall and 13 acres being sold to Francis William Lupton, a "gentleman" whose family had lived at Potternewton Hall since the early 19th century. The Lupton family had been landowners since the 18th century, owning and developing many properties in and around Leeds, including the Newton Hall Estate, which was adjacent to Potternewton Hall. By 1935, both Newton Hall and Potternewton Hall had been sold and demolished; the land being further sub-divided. The Lupton family sold their family seat, Beechwood, in neighbouring Roundhay in 1998 - much of the farmland having been sold by the 1950's to create the Leeds township of Seacroft. In October 1935, G.F. Greenwood, a York Antique Dealer, offered for sale an "old panelled room from the Georgian mansion, Potternewton Hall c.1720". The room was bought and reassembled at Sutton Park, near York, as a morning room.