Image shows Potternewton Hall, located in Potternewton Lane and built in the early 1700s. White urns and seating are arranged around a lawn with a central fountain.
In 1860, the Hall was owned by Francis Lupton Esq. In 1870, the adjoined estate, Newton Hall, was sold to Francis Lupton (of Beechwood Estate, Roundhay) and his brother Darnton by their brother Arthur Lupton (1809-1889) who had owned Newton Hall (previously known as Low Hall) since the early 1840s. Francis' granddaughter, Olive Middleton, had been born and grew up on her family's Potternewton /Newton Park Estate. Olive Middleton is the great grandmother of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. From 1860, Arthur Lupton was leasing the adjacent Potternewton Lodge from the Barker/Ray family.
By 1910, the New Briggate Development Company bought a half share in the Lupton-owned estates. The will of Francis Lupton's son - Francis Martineau Lupton (died 1921) - does not list all the property he had put into trust but reveals it will benefit from the income from "real or leasehold properties" which his trustees should "generally manage...according to their absolute discretion".
By 1927, Agnes Lupton and the New Briggate Development Company had sold the site to United Newspapers (est. 1918) Ltd. The Yorkshire Post had, in October 1933, advertised that "the Newton Hall Estate is the largest private building enterprise in Leeds". In 1921, Francis Martineau Lupton's daughters, Olive and Anne, had inherited both a stake in the New Briggate Development Company and the family woollen manufacturing business - William Lupton and Sons Ltd. - which had been managed by Olive's husband, solicitor Richard Noel Middleton (died 1951). When Olive Middleton died in 1936, her will shows that she left a personal estate of £52,031.
Olive's will also discloses that by 1936 there were three separate family trusts in operation controlling the bulk of her and her family's fortune.
Olive's will does not discuss her specific investments, but suggests they included "railway and other company shares" held in the trust. William Lupton and Co. Ltd. was sold to Hainsworth in 1958.