Image shows the interior of the Chassidishe Syngagogue at number 46 Spencer Place. It opened in 1935 on the former site of Spencer Hall. The fittings, seen here, were the result of the combined skills of the congregation. The curtain is drawn back to reveal the Ark, made by Barnet Feddy, a cabinet maker. The pulpit was crafted by another cabinet maker, Max Kowalsky and the seating either side of the Ark for the President and the Rabbi was made by the three Collins brothers of S.H. Collins & Co, joiners of number 6 Lower Brunswick Street. Mounted on the wall and flanking the Ark are two prayers, one for the new moon and one for the 'Royal Family', presented by Max Goldberg, a tailor of 7 Renfield Terrace. Above the Ark is a marble tablet inscribed with the 10 commandments which was presented by Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Cohen. An opening ceremony was held in 1935 with a reception held afterwards at the Victory Hotel in Briggate. As the jewish population migrated from Chapeltown the numbers dwindled and the synagogue closed c1983.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.