Image shows Town Street and a stone-built lodge seen on the left. The lodge belonged to Middleton Lodge, which was built around 1760 in 365 acres of parkland. In the early days Middleton Lodge was the home of the Brandling family who developed commercial coalmining in Middleton. The last person in residence at Middleton Lodge was Fanny Maude and she continued to live there until her death in 1933. The Lodge then became the headquarters of Middleton Golf Club. The surrounding parkland was leased to Leeds Corporation in 1920 and there were tennis courts, bowling greens, a boating lake, paddling pool and a cafe for the enjoyment of the public. The photograph possibly dates from the late 1930s to early 1940s when this small lodge was occupied by the Park Gardener, and his family. A directory for 1940 lists Herbert Eastwood, Gardener, of Town Street in this location. This lodge to Middleton Lodge was situated not far from the junction of Middleton Park Road and Town Street. There were the watertower and reservoirs belonging to Leeds Corporation at the junction, then numbers 242 to 232 Town Street, which were four detached homes and a pair of semi's, followed by the lodge. Next to it was a track leading to Middleton Lodge through Middleton Wood. A tramway left Middleton Park Road and cut through the wood past Middleton Lodge.