This watercolour by local artist Fred Swaine, who was a resident of Calverley between 1858 and 1942, depicts Lodge Farm. The building dates from 1690, was designed around an oak tree for Walter Calverley. The carved and polished tree stretches from the hall to the attic. The house was restored by James Margerison in 1880 and there is a huge fireplace in the parlour dated 1881. He was a timber merchant and farmer of 70 acres and appears on the 1881 Census as a widower aged 53 with his two sons Joseph and Samuel, two female servants and a lodger, Christopher G. Wilkinson, Curate of Calverley, (B.A. Cantab). Some of the land belonged to Lodge Farm in Chapel Hill (Town Gate) was used in the construction of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal in the 1770s.
Copyright Fred Swaine.