leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Calverley Wood, the old smithy, from a watercolour by Fred Swaine


Calverley Wood, the old smithy, from a  watercolour by Fred Swaine
Description:
Undated. View of the old blacksmith's shop in Calverley Wood. It was in use between 1830 and 1905 when stone was quarried on the 24 acre site. As well as the smithy there was stabling for six to eight horses and a cart shed. The stone was dressed in a stone yard before being lifted on to carts by crane. Thomas Clough & Sons worked the quarrys from 1896 to 1905. The watercolour painting is the work of Fred Swaine. Copyright Fred Swaine.

User Comments:
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.