leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Blackman Lane, All Souls Church


Blackman Lane, All Souls Church
Description:
1888. View of All Souls Church on Blackman Lane. This church was built as a memorial to Dr. Walter Hook, vicar of Leeds between 1837 and 1859. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and completed by his son John Olrid Scott. The foundation stone was laid on 2nd September 1876 and the church was consecrated on 29th January 1880. Sited in one of the poorer districts of Leeds, All Souls is the baptism place of Emily Ford, co-founder of the Leeds Sufferage Society in 1890 The Church holds 8 folding panels depicting religious subjects painted by Ford.

User Comments:
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.