Image shows the interior of Calverley Parish Church of St. Wilfrid prior to the major restoration of 1870, from a sketch by local resident, Fred Swaine (1858 - 1942). At this time there was a gallery at the west end of the church where the choir was seated and which also housed the organ. This was removed and Calverley Chapel was converted to an organ chamber and vestry. The church was re-pewed and various gifts were donated including the oak reredos and some stained glass memorial windows. The Revd. Alfred Brown supervised the restoration of the church which was paid for by public subscription and cost £4000. The church re-opened on 3rd August 1870 with a morning service by the Bishop of Ripon.
Copyright Fred Swaine.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.