View of an area of Carr Road known as Well Head looking east from a watercolour painting by Fred Swaine (1858-1942). Behind the horse and cart in the road Jim Lee's farm and smithy can be seen, and behind that the tower of St. Wilfrid's church. Carr Road bends round to the right into Town gate. The properties built in stone on the right are Well Terrace and the one closest to the woman on the raised pavement was once a sweet shop called Grimshaw's with three 'bulls-eye' window panes.
Copyright Fred Swaine.