This watercolour of Calverley Board School (later known as Parkside School) was painted from the artists bedroom window. From his home in Salisbury Street Fred Swaine was able to look across Victoria Park to the school. Salisbury Street was built in three phases in the 1890s and 1900s with the final phase in the middle added in 1910. The Board School was built at a cost of £4000 in 1900 to accommodate 264 children. Portman Street, where Fred Swaine once lived, runs between the buildings from the junction with Chapel Street, which cuts across from left to right. The roof in the foreground, left, belongs to the Cricket Pavillion in the park.
Copyright Fred Swaine.