View of Lewis's Department Store on the Headrow, taken around the 1950s or 1960s, with the road in front busy with traffic. Designed by architects Atkinson and Shaw and opened on 17th September 1932, Lewis's was one of the largest department stores in the north of England at the time, though only the lower floor was opened at the start, with the rest being completed in 1938. Lewis's remained the biggest store in the centre of Leeds until closing on 1st February 1991 when the company went into receivership. In 1996 the store was taken over by Allders, who in turn closed in 2005.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.