Watercolour by Fred Swaine (1858-1942) showing Thornhill Lodge, also known as Apperley Lodge and nicknamed The Needles Eye by local people. It was one of of four lodges built as entrances to a new estate of luxury villas designed in the 1850s and to be sited in Calverley Wood. Looking through the arch it is possible to see the ramp road and bridge spanning the Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Apperley Bridge. This new and expensive road between Calverley and Apperley Bridge was originally called Honoria Drive but became known as Calverley Cutting as it had cut through solid rock. It climbs steeply out of the valley, through the wood to Calverley, and replaced the old, meandering packhorse route.
Copyright Fred Swaine.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.