Image shows a watercolour by Fred Swaine depicting Apperley Bridge. A paved ford had once existed here before the first bridge was built in the late 16th/ early 17th century. The ford was originally the only crossing point of the River Aire between Kirkstall and Bingley. It was used extensively by travellers, including the 'travelling scotchman' packers from the north. The present bridge dates from c1780 to 1800 and is built in stone with two arches. It is Grade II listed. Copyright Fred Swaine.