Watercolour painted by local artist Fred Swaine showing Apperley Bridge with the George and Dragon public house in view, left. The site of Apperley Bridge has been a crossing point over the Aire for centuries when it was originally a paved ford. The first bridge to be built here dated from the late 16th or early 17th century but this was replaced by the stone bridge with two arches, seen here, c1780 to 1800. Apperley Bridge is Grade II listed. The George and Dragon dates back to at least 1587 and was originally built by the Atkinson family of Apperley as a private house. It was first recorded as an inn in 1835 but was probably established as such in the late 18th century, c1780. The George and Dragon retains many of its original features and is also Grade II listed. Copyright Fred Swaine.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.