View of the Clothworker's Court on University Road, one of the oldest buildings of the University of Leeds. Designed by Alfred Waterhouse, it was completed in 1879 and financed by the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers for the City of London, who were concerned about the lack of scientific and technical education in this country compared to competitors on the continent. They supported the setting up of the Yorkshire College of Science, which became simply the Yorkshire College when other subjects for study were added, and in 1904 became Leeds University with the granting of a Royal Charter.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.