View of the Leeds Institute building on Cookridge Street, dating from 1868 and designed by Cuthbert Brodrick, the architect of Leeds Town Hall. It was used for lectures and concerts by the Leeds Mechanics Instite and also housed a library, reading room and art gallery. In 1949 it became the Civic Theatre but is now a new City Museum which opened in September 2008.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.