View of Newlay Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Newlay looking in the direction of Rodley. The Leeds & Liverpool Canal was constructed between 1772 and 1816 and the locks have dressed millstone grit walls ramped up to each lock gate with steps on each side. Each gate has a single wooden footbridge on the downstream side. Each lock is 14 feet or 4.20 metres wide and when in operation, uses 50,000 gallons of water. Newlay Cottage is visible in the background. Newlay Locks with a three rise staircase, are grade II listed.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.