View of Wood Lane showing the Jaw Bones in the foreground and St. Georges Hospital in the background. The Jaw Bones have been a notable landmark in Rothwell, though not always the same pair or in the same place, since being originally brought over from America in the 19th century by the Fenton family. St. George's Hospital was opened in 1904 as Hunslet Union Workhouse, and became St. George's around 1910. In later years it was a geriatric hospital but has recently been demolished.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.