View of Town Gate showing the Town Cross and Stocks in the centre, and looking north towards Town Street running up ahead. The Town Cross has been a focal point for religious gatherings and prayers since Saxon times but this particular one was erected in 1913, the previous one having been destroyed before 1863 and then replaced by a gas street lamp until the new cross was unveiled. The stocks in front have also been used since ancient times as a punishment for minor misdemeanors. Both Cross and Stocks have since this time been moved slightly to the north to a new Garden of Rest.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.