View of Town Gate showing the Town Cross and stocks in the centre. On the right is Albion Place. Next is the junction with what is now Queensway but may have been Union Street at the time, depending on the date of the photograph; Queensway was built between 1956 and 1962. Further along is Town Street which runs up ahead. Oxford Street leads off on the left. On the corner on the right is Lunn's grocers at no. 18 Towngate.