leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Town Gate, Town Cross and Stocks

Subject ID:
Subject Year:
The Francis Frith Collection
Class number:
FRITH/Box2/G122/GSY 45
Town Gate, Town Cross and Stocks
Undated. View of the Town Cross and stocks on Town Gate. This cross is a replacement for the original Saxon Cross and was unveiled by Lord Harewood in 1913. It had been for many years a focal point for the towns religious gatherings. Similarly the stocks have been there for many centuries and were used as a form of punishment for minor offences such as fighting and drunkeness. In the background is part of The Cross Inn with a telephone call box at the side.

Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.