leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Town Gate, Town Cross and Stocks

Town Gate, Town Cross and Stocks
Undated. View of the Town Cross and stocks on Town Gate. This cross is a replacement for the original Saxon Cross and was unveiled by Lord Harewood in 1913. It had been for many years a focal point for the towns religious gatherings. Similarly the stocks have been there for many centuries and were used as a form of punishment for minor offences such as fighting and drunkeness. In the background is part of The Cross Inn with a telephone call box at the side.

User Comments:
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.