View of the Town Cross and stocks on Town Gate. This cross is a replacement for the original Saxon Cross and was unveiled by Lord Harewood in 1913. It had been for many years a focal point for the towns religious gatherings. Similarly the stocks have been there for many centuries and were used as a form of punishment for minor offences such as fighting and drunkeness. In the background is part of The Cross Inn with a telephone call box at the side.