View of the former York Road Library and Baths from York Road (A64). The building was designed by architect H. Ascough Chapman for Leeds Corporation in 1902 and opened in 1904. The baths are located to the left and the words 'Public Baths' are displayed above the round-arched entrance. On the narrow projecting second bay from the left there is a short, ciruclar tower with a leaded roof and finial, and a clock mounted on a console brackett. The public library is to the right, and, in the central panels of the windows either side of the entrance, there are shields bearing the names of noted authors eg. Chaucer and Shakespeare. At the time of the photograph the property was advertising with the following slogan 'coming soon...
refurbished office space'. Recently (April 2008) the former grade II listed library and baths has been listed for auction in the category of 'vacant commercial' and prospectve bidders have been invited.