Image show the interior view of the entrance porch of the former York Road Library on the southern side of York Road. The building dates from 1904 and was designed for Leeds Corporation by architect H. Asquith Chapman. He designed many decorative features for the library building, which also house the public baths, such as the distintive tiles manufactured at the Burmantofts potteries, and the terazzo floor, seen here. The terazzo floor, which has recently been cleaned, depicts the Leeds Owl in an intricate mosaic design. The heavy round-arched door to the left is the main entrance to the library from York Road. The door straight ahead leads to one of two vestibules which flank the central porch. To the right a door led into what Chapman described as a 'space for public'. The lending library was situated behind this. Currently, (2008) the Grade II building, no longer the property of Leeds City Council, is listed for auction with planning permission for commercial use ie. office accommodation.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.