23rd March 2008.
Image shows All Hallows Church located in Church Lane, a Grade 1 listed building. The west tower, seen here has important examples of Anglo Saxon building work, some of the oldest to be found in Yorkshire. The tower is rectangular in shape and slender. The two-light perpendicular window was inserted in the 15th century but above, the line of an ancient gable, the roof of a late 9th/early 10th century porch is clearly seen. Flanking the tower are 2 Norman Aisles, and the original Norman rooflines of these aisles are visible in the masonry. The north arcade, left, dates from c1100-1125 and the south arcade, right, was built between 1175 and 1200. The upper part of the tower is late 10th century and the embattled parapet was added in the early 20th century.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.