View of the office belonging to Knostrop Sewage Works, a brick building with arched windows. A sign above the doorway reads 'Sewage Works Office Entrance'. Leeds Corporation opened Knostrop Sewage Works in Knowsthorpe Lane in 1848, and over the years it has undergone various programmes of modernisation. Between the years of 1898 and 1906 Knostrop Sewage Works was the focus of research into the process and disposal of sewage. The site benefitted from being surrounded by standard gauge railways. This enabled sidings to be constructed to the Great Northern and Waterloo Main branch lines for the transportation of sewage sludge etc., but by 1908 the sewage works had its own narrow gauge railway.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.