View of School Cottages on Stanks Lane, in Stanks near the junction with Barwick Road. This building was originally a school, built by the Rev. W.H. Bathurst, rector of Barwick, in 1838. It included a school room and an adjoining master's house. The date 1838 can be seen cut in stone above what was once the porch entrance. John Thirlwall was appointed as schoolmaser and the school continued in use till 1856 when a new larger Manston School was built on Austhorpe Road in Cross Gates. This building was then sub-divided into 4 cottages, but since this photo was taken they were demolished for the Swarcliffe estate to be built, at which time the line of the road of Stanks Lane was changed at its junction with Barwick Road. Originally Stanks Lane joined Barwick Road opposite Penda’s Way forming a crossroads, but the junction was moved further towards Leeds, leaving Stanks Garth on the original alignment of Stanks Lane.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.