View of School Cottages on Stanks Lane. This building was originally a school, built by the Rev. W.H. Bathurst, rector of Barwick, in 1838. It included a school room and an adjoining master's house. The date 1838 can be seen cut in stone above what was once the porch entrance. John Thirlwall was appointed as schoolmaser and the school continued in use till 1856 when a new larger Manston School was built on Austhorpe Road in Cross Gates. This building was then converted into cottages but since this photo was taken they have been demolished and the area is now part of the Swarcliffe estate.