View of Cottingley Hall Farm taken in Victorian times. The old hall dated back to at least 1556 when it was recorded that an Adam de Clapham lived at Cottingley Hall. In the early 1600s Christopher Hodgson moved in and added a new wing of brick in 1616. Later in the 1600s it was occupied by John Jackson then in 1715 it was bought by Thomas Kitchingman, a businessman and Mayor of Leeds. In 1742 a Mr. Moore was at Cottingley Hall where he was known to have entertained the preacher John Wesley. By the 1800s it was a working farm with an 1826 directory listing Jonathan Andrews as the farmer. Census records of 1851, 1861, and 1871 list, respectively, Richard Crosby, Jonathan Kendall and James Ellis as farmers there. The old house was subsequently demolished in 1947 and with the extensive grounds turned into a housing estate, initially consisting of prefabs until more permanent buildings were erected in the 1970s.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.