Image shows the line of a disused, sunken lane leading south down to the former site of Killingbeck Farm from the old stone bridge crossing Wyke Beck. The bridge was part of the old Foundry Lane, before it was re-routed in the 1930s. The sunken lane is thought to have its origins in the medieval period. The area is recorded in the Yorkshire Hundred Rolls, 1274-1275 in the Wapentake of Skyrack. It was held by the Knights Templar of Newsam with 3 bovates (measurements of land) from the gift of Walter de Kelingbec and 4 bovates from the gift of William de Somervil. Killingbeck was, therefore, part of the Temple Newsam Estate. Image courtesy of John Garnett.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.