5th January 2008.
Image shows a flat, grassed area where the footprint of the ward of Killingbeck Smallpox Hospital can be clearly seen surrounded by trees and brambles. A decision was taken in 1912, to build a separate, small Smallpox Hospital as the main hospital building was to be converted to a sanatorium for the treatment of Tuberculosis. The site chosen for the Smallpox Hospital was that of Killingbeck Farm, which had, at one time, supplied Killingbeck and Seacroft hospitals with eggs and poultry. The incidence of smallpox declined and no cases were admitted there after 1931.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.