Image shows the distinct outline of Lynchets, agricultural terraces formed by the prolonged ploughing of the slope. The lynchets are thought to date back to at least the Medieval period. The lynchets stretch south-west from Foundry Lane towards the site of an old farm, Killingbeck Farm, which was later to become the site of Killingbeck Smallpox Hospital, built in 1915. The farmland was once part of the Temple Newsam Estate but a farm here was at one time called Killingbeck Grange Farm, 'Grange' meaning that it was a monastic farm with links to the Cistercian monks of Kirkstall Abbey. In the background there are three blocks of flats that can be clearly seen. These are, left, Parkway Towers in Brooklands Crescent, Parkway Court in Foundry Lane, centre, and Parkway Grange also in Foundry Lane, right, all built in 1967. The view is looking towards Seacroft Estate. Image courtesy of John Garnett.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.