Image shows a view towards the former Smallpox Hospital site looking south-west from Foundry Lane. The tree-covered site was, at one time, Killingbeck Farm. In 1915 the main Killingbeck Hospital had converted to a Sanatorium to treat Tuberculosis cases and at the same time a small Smallpox Hospital was constructed on the site of the farm. The farmhouse was converted to the administration block. Little now remains of the hospital. The land in view is of historical interest as it undulates, with flat areas punctuated by raised strips. These are called lynchets and are evidence of very early ploughing, sustained over a long period of time. This working of the land is thought to date from at least Medieval times. Image courtesy of John Garnett.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.