Image shows the path as it turns left to the former site of Killingbeck Hall. The hall was built in the early 18th century by the Brooke family. It replaced an earlier building of the 1600s. After a succession of owners the final private owner was the Hon. Mrs. Emily Charlotte Meynell Ingram (1840-1904) who sold Killingbeck Hall to Leeds Corporation for the sum of £21,000 in 1898. The scheme to build a Smallpox Hospital on the 144 acre site was approved in 1899 and was a response to the high number of cases of smallpox in Leeds in 1898. The Hall was converted to an administration block and the hospital opened in September 1904. Later, in 1913, the hospital was converted to a sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis and a small smallpox ward was constructed on a separate site on the estate. By the 1970s Killingbeck Hall was in use as a social centre for staff before demolition began in the April of 1978. Image courtesy of John Garnett.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.