Image shows the stone frontage of Farnley Hill Methodist Church located in Stonebridge Lane. The church held its bicentenary in 1997. John Wesley preached in the area in 1761 and also in 1780. His teachings were the inspiration for the founding of the chapel. Mr. William Farrer, a local farmer, held the first meetings in his home, which was situated at the entrance to Havercroft on Croft Lane. This proved inadequate as numbers grew and so land for the chapel was acquired. Building commenced in 1796 and the new chapel opened on 5th June 1797. This early chapel was replaced by the present building, seen here, in 1827 and is now Grade II listed. There are five bays and the three central bays were originally pedimented where a clock was displayed. Above it there was once an open turret which housed a bell. A pair of projecting porches are visible, with inward facing doors and fanlights. School premises were constructed adjacent to the chapel in the following year of 1828.