21st September 1909.
View of Chapel Lane with Pinfold square to the left and looking towards Pinfold Lane on the right. A decorative arch has been erected to celebrate the wedding of Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, later Lord Halifax, to Lady Dorothy Onslow, with pictures of the couple on either side. The bridegroom owned Temple Newsam at the time, having inherited it from his aunt, Mrs Meynell Ingram, in 1904. He later sold it to Leeds Corporation in 1922. Lord Halifax (1881-1959) became a noted Conservative politician, serving as Viceroy of India (1926-1931) and Foreign Secretary (1938-40).
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.