Image shows Sir Alvary Gascigne posing for the camera in front of Lotherton Hall with one of the dogs. Dahlias are in bloom in the ornamental flower beds. Richard Oliver Gascoigne bought the Lotherton Estate in 1825 but the hall was altered greatly in the 1890s by Colonel Frederick R.T.T. Gascoigne. His wife, Mrs. Laura Gascoigne created the gardens. Colonel and Mrs. Gascoigne were the parents of Sir Alvary Gascoigne. He lived here into his retirement with his wife, Lady Gascoigne but in 1968, presented Lotherton Hall and grounds to Leeds City Council. It is now run as a successful visitor attraction.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.