Image by Leslie Chapman showing the interior of the 12th century Norman chapel at Lotherton Hall. Between 1913 and 1917 the chapel was renovated for Colonel and Mrs. Gascoigne by John Bilson, FSA. The octagonal pulpit, board and clerk's desk, seen in the north-east corner of the nave, was repaired and restored at this time. The chapel was used by wounded soldiers when Lotherton Hall was converted to a V.A.D. hospital between 1914 and 1918. Until 1880 the chapel had been in use but fell into disrepair in subsequent years. It is thought to date from the reign of Henry II, between 1170 and 1180, and several original architectural features may be seen including the carved doorhead on the north side of the building.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.