Image shows the frontage of Aberford Almshouses, situated on the west side of the Great North Road, South of the village. They were built to the designs by George Fowler Jones at the instigation of the two Gascoigne sisters, Elizabeth and Mary Isabella. They had lost both their brothers, Thomas and Richard Silver and their father Richard Oliver Gascoigne in 1843 and so they had the almshouses built as a memorial. Four, two - storey residences flank a central tower and were designed to accommodate four male and four female retired estate workers. At the south end of the buildings, left, there was a chapel which was in use from 1845 until 1976. At the north end, right, there was a refectory. The almshouses were vacated by the residents in 1976 and are now convereted for business use and known as 'Priory Park'.
Photograph by Ron Turner.