Image shows part of Aberford Almshouses. The tall tower at the left edge was central to the design of the buildings and separated the mens' dwellings from the womens', four on each side of the tower. The dwellings are constructed on two storeys to the architectural plans of George Fowler Jones, a Scottish born architect who practised in York. They were erected between 1843 and 1845 on the behalf of Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Gascoigne to provide homes for retired estate workers as a memorial to their father and brothers. The refectory for the use of the workers, was situated at the north end of the building, far right in this image.