View of Aberford Almshouses, located on the west side of the Great North Road, south of the village. They were built between 1843 and 1845 to the designs by Scottish born architect, George Fowler Jones (1817/18 - 1905) who practised in York. He designed them on behalf of Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Gascoigne as a memorial to their father, Richard Oliver Gascoigne and two brothers, Thomas and Richard Silver who had recently died. The central towers separates the eight, two storey dwellings, reserved four men and four women, retired workers of Gascoigne Estate. At the south end of the buildings, left, there is a small chapel and at the north end, right, a refectory. The last residents vacated the almshouses in 1976 and the listed buildings are now converted for business use and named Priory Park.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.