View of Laneside House, a substantial stone-built residence located off Victoria Road. It belonged to the Crowther family who owned Laneside Mill and manufactured woollens. The steam-powered mill was opened by George Crowther in 1829. On the census of 1841 George Crowther was recorded as living at Laneside at the age of 60, with his four daughters, Elizabeth (15), Margaret (13), Sarah Ann (12) and Mary (9). He employed a housekeeper, a governess and two servants. Laneside House is the last house in Morley before the Churwell boundary is reached on Victoria Road, near the junction with Elland Road. Photograph by David Atkinson from the david Atkinson Archive.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.