View of Manor House Farm in Old Road taken from the front garden. The house was originally Jacobean with a 1605 date and it is thought that Oliver Cromwell once stayed there. For many years it was the residence of William Ward, the Colliery owner. Later, in the early 20th century, it became the home of Thomas H. Robinson who was known, fondly, to the locals as 'Old Tall Hat'. Later still, in the mid 20th Century, the nationally known song writer, Jack Popplewell (1909-1997) lived here, leaving in 1957. It was then leased by Harry Gaythorpe from 1959, and purchased in 1979, until 2001. The house is still owned by the Gaythorpe family. Manor House Farm house is a Grade II listed building. Photograph from the David Atkinson Archive.