leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Aerial view of railway lines and stations


Subject ID:
2009812_169340
Location:
City Centre
Subject Year:
1962
Copyright:
Aerofilms
Class number:
D LIB Central (20)
Aerial view of railway lines and stations
Description:
17th September 1962. Aerial view of railway lines and stations. In the centre of the bottom edge is Leeds Corporation Gas Department, and above it the lozenge shape is Holbeck Station (1855-1958). Above the centre, towards the top edge, are the two main railway stations with the River Aire and Leeds and Liverpool Canal looping round between. On the left is Leeds Central Station (1848-1967) and on the right is Leeds City Station formed in 1938 on the merger of Leeds Wellington Station and Leeds New Station. Cutting across the bottom left-hand corner is Wellington Road. Next Gelderd Junction on Wellington Road is the Grade II listed circular building, the Round House, opened by the Leeds & Thirsk railway in 1847. In the centre of the left edge is Bean Ing Mill, demolished in the 1960s and now the site of the Yorkshire Post building. The Town Hall is just visible a little way down from the top left edge. Wellington Street runs diagonally across the top left hand corner from the centre of the left edge.

Corrections:
Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.