17th September 1962.
Aerial view over the city of Leeds showing Leeds City Station in the centre. To the left of it is the River Aire before it flows beneath the railway under the dark arches. In the bottom right-hand corner are the graving docks off the canal basin at Granary Wharf. The bridge over the canal at this point dates from 1841 and is situated at Office Lock next to the old Canal Office. Beyond where the canal and River Aire meet there is Victoria Bridge (right edge, centre) then following the bends of the river towards the top, Leeds Bridge is only just visible and in the top corner Crown Point Bridge can be seen clearly. Following the railway line from the top edge various landmarks can be seen. To the left at the top is the huge complex of Quarry Hill Flats, moving down there is Leeds Parish Church of St. Peter, then the dome of the Corn Exchange. To the left of the Corn Exchange is Kirkgate Market fronting Vicar Lane. To the right of the station is the former Tramways Depot on Swinegate. Below that, between Neville Street and the river, is the woollen mill at School Close which, in 1973, became the site of the Dragonara Hotel (now the Leeds Hilton). The line of light buildings across the top left-hand corner are on Eastgate and include Lewis's department store. They were part of Sir Reginald Blomfield's scheme of the 1930's. The grid pattern of streets comprising the city shopping areas can be seen including Vicar Lane, Briggate and Park Row. Wellington Street comes in from the bottom left-hand coner and following the line of it City Square is visible. At the bottom edge traffic is seen in Whitehall Road and the Whitehall Mills Complex.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.